Tuesday 28 August 2012

books are cool



Reading books is my jam. I love doing it.
And I'm kind of promiscuous in my reading... I'll do it anywhere, y'know.
On the bus, at subway stations. I even read at school.
Lately my favorite place to read has been lying under the air conditioner in our apartment before Dallas gets home.
I own a ton of books. Or 8 huge cardboard boxes. They're in my parents storage room waiting for me to settle down and re-home them one day.
I spent hours in that room going through those boxes at Christmas when I went home to stay. 
Leafing through page upon page, book after book. I've kept them all, from my youthful Roald Dahls through my Babysitters Clubs, teenage Point Horrors until my university reading list books:  Moby Dick and Wuthering Heights and such.
I'll keep all of those books until I have kids of my own. I'm sentimental about those books like that. 
Perhaps because they painted my mind and decorated my language and are a huge part of what I am today.

So yeah, books are pretty cool in my book.

Today there is a typhoon in Korea~ a magic pocket in our week with no school, open windows, howling wind and whirlpools of leaves dancing on the ground outside. Dallas and I have celebrated by lighting candles and kicking back with rice wine and open books.


Here's a little list of my Summer reading material~ I would recommend all of these for those of you like me who never truly grew out of curious characters, magic, time travel and good old fashioned great prose.

What books have you folks been reading this summer?


1. The Night Circus~ Erin Morgenstern
2. Jitterbug Perfume~ Tom Robbins
3. Brothers Karamazov~ Fyodor Dostoevsky
4. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland~ Lewis Carroll
5. The Catcher in the Rye~ J.D Salinger
6. Game of Thrones~ George R.R Martin



No comments:

Post a Comment