Wednesday 23 January 2013

☾☾ Beach House Concert ∆ Live in Seoul ☽☽


There's only a handful of concerts I have been to where I have walked out afterwards feeling like I just beheld some kind of magical occurrence.
Last night after seeing Beach House rock the Interpark Art Center in Hapjeong I had that telltale buzz in the pit of my stomach, pour me a bourbon neat, holy-mama what did I just witness? kind of a moment.

Last night was the band's first stint in South Korea and marked a smashing come-back for Korean indie- music scene promoters Super Color Super.


From the moment their incredible stage lighting transformed the sterile, wood paneled recording studio atmosphere of the Art Center's arena into a shimmering purple indoor aquarium the crowds shoulders unanimously loosened and an almost hypnotic en-mass body sway ensued for the duration of the set.



Victoria Legrand, half mermaid-siren, half glam-rock mama to Monster from the Muppets, owned the stage from the second she strode on to it wearing her trademark glitter-ball jacket.
Spending half the set hunching ominously over her organ like a B horror-movie organist, her long, skull ring encrusted fingers scuttled like spiders over the keys as she head banged and snake-hipped effortlessly along to her own singing.



She cut a mysterious figure up there on the stage, her bewitching voice soaring out from within a curtain of shadow and long red mermaid waves which frequently obscured her face. Her ethereal, siren-call voice, capable of impossible range, lended an exquisite baroque quality to their myriad of sing-a-longs from both Teen Dream and Bloom.

Alex Scally cut an impressive silhouette with his guitar and vocals backing up Victoria's mezmerising performance perfectly. 
They were a pair of snake-charmers bedazzling their pit.

The exceptional  fortune of having access to such amazing bands out here in South Korea is not lost on me and hats off to Super Color Super for their tireless efforts in the name of bringing the best indie holy rollers in to this tiny little peninsula. 

Encore.







   



10 comments:

  1. Just found your blog! i am in love with your layout. Especially the picture of you inside the teepee, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Beach House a few years ago at an outdoor music festival. They sounded great, but their set was in the middle of the afternoon and the atmosphere was all off. I would love to see them again in a venue like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That concert looks amazing. I love really artistic looking sets.

    Beautiful blog, following.

    xxx

    www.forevermissvanity.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an amazing gig, thanks for the follow dear!!

      Delete
  4. love the look of your blog! so hip! did u make it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kotryna (love your unusual name!)
      I designed it myself but I had to hire someone to create it. HTML makes my head hurt >.<

      Delete
  5. I just want your life. It seems so much more fun than mine, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison sometimes I wish I could trade my life trust me~ I only put the good bits out on here! x

      Delete